Jerry McGuire and Rod Tidwell have a classic discussion about the relationship between an agent and his client.
Another quote from the movie :
‘ I will not rest until I have you holding a Coke, wearing your own shoe, playing a Sega game *featuring you*, while singing your own song in a new commercial, *starring you*, broadcast during the Superbowl, in a game that you are winning, and I will not *sleep* until that happens. I’ll give you fifteen minutes to call me back.’ – Jerry Maguire
How many of you have come in contact with a Financial Agent/ advisor with the same passion ?
Ever so often you have an insurance advisor / agent getting in touch with you to sell a product that he thinks could suit you. Almost as often:
- he is working to fulfil his targets
- he doesn’t gather enough information about you/ you don’t share the right information of yourself
- he disappears after the sale.
- you don’t follow up
It takes ‘two to tango’, an oft used phrase stands good here. I often hear people rambling about being duped by an agent who disappeared after making the sale. Point to be noted that even then we consider it as a sale.
LOOK FOR A SERVICE! – As buyers even when we buy a meal / a piece of clothing , we retain all the terms of that contract and complain if the food is not enough/ the size is not right and know someone to reach out to. At the time of buying a Financial Product background check your advisor along with considering the softer aspects of his personality.
- Will he remind you on your insurance premiums? Provide you with the proofs on the same.
- Will he take a keen interest in your investments after the sale and inform you when you should move out/ move in into other investments.
- Can you rely on him with all your financial information and assume that he would help out the family to retrieve your investments in case something goes wrong?
If your answer is Yes, go ahead and hire that advisor. If its No, think again before making that investment. There are a plethora of products and a sea of advisors. Each one of us has to find our Jerry, to know that he is working in our best interest and in some way fulfilling his dreams !
‘Dig the well before you are thirsty.’